Frequently Asked Questions


  1. What are major courses, core courses, cognates and electives? (pp. 347-348, Faculty Manual)
  2. Major courses – set of courses in principal discipline/field of study with prescribed total number of courses and units, of which certain courses are specifically required

    Core courses – subset of core courses common to all majors or tracks of a particular degree program; required major courses

    Cognates - courses outside of, but related to, the major discipline or field, with minimum number of required units; aims to complement or enrich the major courses

    Electives – courses a student can choose from any area or discipline and regardless of course number

    For other curricular nomenclature, refer to Appendix C, pp. 347-350, Faculty Manual

  3. How often should a curriculum be revised/reviewed?
  4. As a general rule, curricular programs should not be revised within 3 years after its institution. However, they should be reviewed every 3-5 years, depending on the pace of development in the discipline.

  5. What happens to subjects/courses not offered within 5 years?
  6. They are abolished through the regular curricular review process.

  7. Under the RGEP, can colleges/units require certain GE courses for their degree programs? Or can they restrict the enrolment of their majors in certain GE courses? Can GE subjects be required as prerequisites to higher/major courses?
  8. Colleges/units structure the curricula of their degree programs in the manner they see most beneficial to producing the kind of graduates they want. Thus, the colleges have the overall responsibility and accountability for the mix of courses that they will require, including the GE courses, or which can not be credited into their degree programs.

    However, in line with the RGEP’s principle of choice, no specific GE courses may be required. Instead, units may require certain skills or competencies or background knowledge as in the following:

    a. when mandated by law

    Ex. Part of the requirements for the Accountancy Board examination is 15 units of English. Thus, CBA will be allowed to reflect this requirement in their curriculum. One way to do this is to indicate as part of “Program Requirements” as follows: 15 units of arts and humanities courses taught in English

    b. If GE course(s) provide the competencies or skills or background knowledge needed for major/higher courses

    Certain levels of competencies or background knowledge are required for major/higher courses, thus colleges/units can a) develop a system of prerequisites for these courses or b) may include under “Program Requirements”, that will be decided in the context of the discipline and in relation to their curricular objectives.

    In these cases, it is not a prescription of a course as a required GE course; it’s a prescription of a competence or skill or necessary background.


    • If a background on Philippine history is required, units may indicate “Prerequisite: 3 units of Philippine history” without specifying Kas 1. This is to give the students a choice of what Philippine History course, among the GE courses, to enrol in.
    • “3 units of GE communication course in Filipino”
    • “can not enrol in Math 2 for credit in the degree program”. This may happen if the curriculum of the student already requires many credit units of higher Math subjects just like in the College of Engineering. However, a student can still enrol in Math 2, if s/he wants to, but won’t be credited to his/her degree program.

    Proponents will have to justify such requirements and the proposals will have to go through the curricular process.

  9. What is meant by “GE courses with permanent substitution”?
  10. In the old GE program, permanent substitutions were approved for Math I, Natural Science I and II with a set of courses in the major fields in the natural science curricula. Under the RGEP, such substitutions are retained.

    GE subject Courses that substitute for GE course
    Math 1 [Math 11, Math 14] or Math 17 and up to Calculus (Math 53 or Math 100) for programs whose curricula do not require Math 1
    Natural Science 1 Chem 16, and Physics 71 or their equivalents Natural
    Science 2 Geo 11 and Bio 11

    As a result of the above substitutions, the number of GE units to be enrolled in by students whose curricula already require the substitution courses are correspondingly decreased. Furthermore, students of degree programs where such substitutions have been applied can not enrol for credit the substituted GE courses.

    For example, the BS Architecture curriculum requires Math 11, Math 14, Math 53 and Math 54. These math courses can substitute for Math 1. Thus, the BS Architecture curriculum requires 3 units less than the 15 GE units required for the Math, Science and Technology domain. A BS Architecture student can not enrol with credit Math 1.


  1. Admission

  2. 1.1 Why are there quotas for admission even into the diploma and certificate programs?

    Admission into diploma and certificate programs is based mainly on results of the talent tests administered by the respective units. There is a quota for incoming freshmen as well as for transferees into these diploma/certificate programs.

    As a general rule, the quota for admission into the University is based on the holding capacity in terms of faculty and physical resources - classrooms, laboratories, computers etc. Just like other students in the University, certificate and diploma students enrol in courses offered by other colleges/units such as GE courses. Thus, resources of other colleges/units, not only the admitting college/unit, have to be considered.

    If the transferees no longer need to enrol in other colleges/units outside of the admitting unit (ex. transferees with already 66 credit units earned thus, will likely enrol only in major courses), then the admitting unit can specify their own quotas taking into consideration their existing resources.

    1.2 What are the admission requirements for non-degree students?

    Non-degree students may be allowed to take courses, for credit but not towards earning a degree, at the graduate and /or undergraduate level provided they satisfy the appropriate requirements for admission to the University. They shall not be allowed to enrol for more than one semester, except by special permission of the Dean of the college concerned and the University Registrar.

    1.3 Who are non majors?

    Non-majors are students dismissed from their respective colleges, but not from the University, for failure to meet retention requirements imposed by the colleges such as grade point average or number of units passed per semester or year. This means that the college retention requirements are more strict than the prescribed University scholastic requirements.

    Students who had zero passing at the end of the semester (i.e. obtained final grades below “3” in all the academic units in which they are given final grades) are permanently disqualified from the University. Thus, these students can not be non- majors.

    1.4 What is “forced drop”? When is a student “dropped” or given a grade of “5”?

    When the number of hours lost by absence of a student reaches 20% of the hours of recitation, lecture, laboratory or any scheduled work in one subject, s/he shall be dropped from the subject (This is referred to as “forced drop”). If the majority of absences are excused, the student shall not be given a grade of “5” upon being thus dropped; but if the majority of the absences are not excused, s/he shall be given a grade of “5” upon being thus dropped.